Thursday, January 22, 2009

Three Worlds...

This early morning I lied awake in bed, feeling the softness of my sheets, the firmness of my mattress and so enjoying the comforts, but with it came a pressing thought of all I needed to accomplish today, before being a mom. A thought passed my head, I remembered a dear friend who once commented that she lies awake in bed for hours having a hard time getting out of bed.

Yesterday, I had a remarkable lunch with several ladies who left me feeling awed. These ladies were in their 50's and 60's. They had no children, no husband but had very prominent jobs. Jobs that had flourished during our better times-one a stock broker and one in advertisement. These ladies, despite their high demanding jobs had been major players in our community. They had an unbelievable charity volunteer record. They had been raising money for important charities for most of their career life. Even yesterday they were jumping through hoops to be volunteers at a local hospital. Our hospitals need volunteers. I was in total awe of these ladies, especially when the stock broker told me she had no idea what her future with her company would be and so I asked what shall you do then and she replied I will finish up my Architecture degree I have been working on for the past few years!

Fast forward and one hour later, I am hanging out with my "crunchy" girlfriends at the park, while our children run free. This was an adjustment for me. I had a hard time adjusting to the trivia we deal with on a daily basis. I believe that what we are achieving through putting our family first is a huge plus to our society and most importantly to our children. I believe we are all doing what is right. I believe in non-judgement. I believe we can all make a difference.

This morning I got out of my comfortable bed and without skipping a beat I jumped on my computer to work until I took my son to our rock climbing adventure. There was no time to linger, no time to think about the cares in the world. I have a business to run, a family to help support, and a child to hold. I don't pretend to know another world, though I admit I'd like to know another. I suppose there are some who would like to know my world...

So I got upset when a friend wrote about her thoughts of how Americans need to run their business. Am I really so upset about her opinions that run so close to mine?

Or is it I know she can lie in the comforts of her bed until she doesn't care to.

1 comment:

Miranda said...

Didn't take it personally, hmmm? ;-)
Just for the record I was actually talking about how AMERICA should run it's business. How the government should do things. If the rest of the business world all the way from Wall Street down to little one woman shows, follows suite, who is to blame for the "way things have to be done"? I just like to look at how things are and imagine a better way. For instance, I am imagining a life for you where you lay in bed as long as you like, and even when you jump up to work, you are doing it by full hearted choice. This morning I am out of bed way before I want to be, because I have to drive to VA to clean out the old house and finish up moving. All of life is a balance between good and bad, but there is always a silver lining. My silver is that this is the LAST time I have to make that drive. Unless of course I choose to do it again later to visit friends or DC, or whatever. ;-)
I think we would all be surprised to see each other to do lists! It is all relative.
Love ya and see you next week when I have only one house to clean and 8 acres to farm!