Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Spritual Solitude

Well I finally did it. I finished Eat, Pray, Love. I have to admit, it took so long because I never wanted to finish it. It held so many great inspirational words and thoughts. It has inspired me to meditate on a daily basis. It has made me be a bit more discipline in my spiritual development. But it has also made me wonder...

Why is it so much easier to dedicate our life or periods of time to our spiritual development when we do not have significant others (children included) in our life. Sid Hartha left his wife and son, the Dali Lama lives a life of solitude, Jesus Christ and Elizabeth Gilbert had no obligations as she tried to seek her peace.

This morning as I was meditating, I heard A creep into my room, stand for a moment, then crawl in next to me. I was in a pleasant place while this all happened and I hoped by ignoring his presence he'd leave, but instead he whispered "Mommy". I reluctantly went to my side curled him into my spoon and answered "Yes?" He said "This is all I wanted." In Eat, Pray, Love one of the characters says I realized as I was raising my young that it was not important for them to love me, only that I love them.

Tomorrow I will wake up earlier to meditate.

2 comments:

Annette said...

Beautiful! I have wondered this. I have thought that the only way I could find true spiritual peace was by going somewhere quiet by myself. I have felt resentment when I could not have that. But then I realised that to really be the parent I want to be, I do not need to find my peace by myself, but within myself even though it may be noisy and chaotic on the outside. Like the eye of the storm.
Meditation strengthens my connection to that peace, even a few minutes here and there helps.

Evette said...

E,
Great line to remember! As in yoga, whenever my system is in overload, I return to my breath and I reach out to our Angels for support and remember that I'm not alone. Evette